The Palms Lifestyle Village FAQ’s
From specifics about Occupation Rights Agreements, to whether you can bring your campervan, our lifestyle village FAQs page has a wealth of information.
We know that making the decision to move into a retirement home is a huge one, that’s why it’s important to us that all your questions are answered. If you need more information, give us a call! Our friendly staff are happy to talk to you about what you can expect from life at The Palms.
Who qualifies as a resident?
- You must be 65 years of age or older
- At the time of purchase, of an Occupation Right Agreement you must be in good health
- In certain circumstances (e.g. ill health or breach of the terms of your Agreement), the Management has the option to repurchase your unit
What is an "Occupation Right Agreement"?
An Occupation Right Agreement entitles a resident to occupy a villa or apartment for their and their spouse’s lifetime (subject to certain rights of termination detailed in the Agreement), together with the right to use buildings and facilities intended for common use.
How do I apply for an Occupation Right Agreement?
- The purchase price of your Villa
- The Amenities Contribution
- Your own personal expenses, e.g. Power, Phone/Internet, Contents Insurance & Sky TV/Freeview
What is the "Amenities Contribution"?
This is a fee that finances the maintenance of the Village, refurbishment cost of the inside of your Villa and repairs & maintenance of the Community Centre facilities.
It accrues at the rate of 10% per annum over three years, to a maximum of 30% of your Occupation Right Agreement.
The Amenities Contribution accrues during residency, but only becomes payable when your Occupation License fee is refunded (on the relicensing of your villa/apartment).
What does the "Weekly Fee" cover?
- Village outgoings
- Land & water rates, levies and fees payable to any Government, territorial or local authority
- Water, electricity, telephones and other utilities or services in relation to the common areas and facilities
- Villa insurance premiums and associated valuation fees
- Salaries, wages and other renumeration of persons engaged in the management and operation of the Village
- Costs of providing security, cleaning, gardening and other services for the general use and benefit of the residents
- Costs of maintenance and repair of all buildings, common areas and the Village
- Medical Alarm
- Fees and expenses of the Statutory Supervisor and Auditor
- Reasonable depreciation of chattels in common areas
Can I have friends and family to stay?
Yes, your villa/apartment is your home and you most certainly can have them visit or stay with you, and providing you are with them we would like you to look on the Community Centre as an extension of your home.
Can I have a garden?
Yes, if you are a keen gardener, we will do our best to cater to your requirements.
If, at a later stage, you are not able to look after your garden, Management will take over the maintenance of it.
Can I have a pet?
Yes, you can bring your existing cat or small dog at the written discretion of Village Management.
What security do I have?
- Security gates at the front entrance
- Bupa 24 hour monitoring. This covers Ambulance, Police or Fire
- Northern Districts Security 3 times a night, 7 days a week
- Security cameras throughout the Village
What are my rights?
The Residents are encouraged to form their own Committee and regular meetings will be held with the Covenant Trustee Company (your representative) and Management to discuss any issues that may have arisen.
Residents are welcome at the Office anytime to discuss anything that is of concern to them.
Under the Retirement Villages Bill there is a Code of Conduct for Management and a Code of Resident’s Rights.
What facilities are close to The Palms Lifestyle Village?
- Tikipunga Shopping complex is only a 10 minute walk from The Palms, it includes the Medical Centre, Countdown and Pharmacy. Tikipunga Library is situated 2 minutes walking distance from the Shopping Centre. Both Mt Denby golf course and the Whangarei Waterfall are within driving distance. The Library bus regularly visits, this information is available on the Resident’s calendar.
- Whangarei Hospital
- Tikipunga Golf Course
- A variety of clubs and organisations are all close by
The Palms is ideally situated, enabling you to retain your independence even if you no longer have a vehicle.
Can I bring my campervan?
Unfortunately our campervan area is full. We are unable to take anymore campervans at this stage.